Root canal therapy doesn’t have to be scary or uncomfortable; instead, it can be a positive opportunity to preserve a damaged tooth and experience a relaxing trip to the dentist’s office. While this may be hard to believe, especially if you’ve never had a root canal before, these procedures are relatively common and not painful for our patients.
Please read below if you would like to learn more about our root canal process at Stonebridge Dental Association! When you’re ready to schedule an appointment, simply give us a call. We will be happy to help!
Root Canal Therapy
Root canal therapy is a treatment offered to save a severely damaged or decayed tooth. When in most other cases the tooth would require extraction, this procedure allows us to save the tooth and prevent further damage from occurring; additionally, the process nearly immediately relieves pain associated with an infected tooth.
While any practice can deliver a pain-free root canal when it’s well performed, we make the procedure even faster, easier, and more comfortable for our patients by using a laser instead of a drill!
- Using our laser, we will remove any existing decay from the surface of the tooth.
- We will then use a laser to create a tiny hole and access the interior of the tooth.
- Through this small opening, we will remove the inflamed tissues, nerves, and vessels located within the tooth. This is likely the source of the pain from the infection.
- Once this is removed, the tooth’s inner canals will be thoroughly cleaned, and the inside will be filled with a biocompatible material known as gutta-percha.
- The tooth will be sealed closed, and a custom-made dental crown will be cemented on top.
Signs You Need a Root Canal
- Severe tooth pain
- Bumps on the gums
- Temperature sensitivity
- Swollen, darkened gum tissue
Keeping You Comfortable During Your Root Canal
While it’s true that a root canal may seem intimidating, dentistry has come a long way in recent years. You may hear scary stories of painful dental procedures done in the past, but these experiences are long gone, and we now have the medication, skill, and technology to make treatments virtually painless.
If you’re suffering from a toothache, don’t let this pain control your life. Call our office in Havelock, NC today, and we will ensure you get the relief you deserve.